Just a quick recap of my trip this evening to the Popeyes in my good ole neighborhood of Baltimore City. (not really tagging anyone, just sharing out loud lol).
I haven’t been to Popeyes in YEARS! For this reason….I eat out enough as it is (‘commited’ bachelor) so I cut out ‘fast food’ from my diet to make sure I am not cutting my lifespan short by 5 years. Gonna need these years when I get married.
For some reason about 2 weeks ago, I actually went to the same Popeyes in my neighborhood and they were OUT OF CHICKEN! Wait…I know why I actually went…I blame Method Man and Redman’s album ‘Black Out 2′ for having me feeling really ‘black’ these days.
But I was astonished by the fact that Popeyes would run out of chicken but feedback from friends/tweeps had me understand that it is not uncommon which totally confused me. A chicken joint running out of chicken is like rich white ppl running out of Grey Poupon!
So today I decided to go AGAIN (still blaming real rap music). This time they had a ton of chicken and here are some observations from this experience…..
- Black people still LOVE chicken, no matter how much some of you try to fight the stereotype. With the amount of black folk in there, you would think they were giving away free lottery tickets for the latest Mega Million.
- The idea of this middle aged white guy in line with me at the Popeyes in the hood actually made me feel less ‘guilty’ for being there. If this guy is okay w/ buying chicken in the hood, then I guess I can risk it.
- Businesses in the hood (or maybe it is just a lot of black operated businesses everywhere) still have SHITTTY customer service.
- But while standing in line for an incessant amount of time, I was fortunate to hear one of the ‘managers’ who was now off the clock tell this story to 2 older black women customers in church clothes behind me in line….summary:
In the past 2 weeks, they have fired 4 employees (safe to assume all black males) because these ‘employees’ on TWO separate occasions DICKED the business by giving away BOXES of chicken to someone else (stealing). 12 Boxes of chicken to be exact and apparently each box contain 100+ pieces of chicken. In 2 weeks, the owner lost over 1200 pieces of CHICKEN!!!! Few lessons here:
1. if you need a get quick rich scheme, go work for Popeyes (just don’t dress too well for interview, you are probably overqualified) and then find someone who needs large quantities of chicken (perhaps the Asians) and broker a deal for some cheap chicken. Popeyes probably won’t pay you as much in 2 weeks as you would have made pawning off their chicken (we in a recession yall!!!) How about this for a cost-benefit thievery!
2. Popeyes have cameras and they tell their employees this at orientation but this doesn’t stop them for stealing chicken (in large quantities).
3. Next time I go to Popeyes and they say they are out of chicken…I won’t automatically judge them!
back to observations
- The chicken still tastes SHITTY!!! I bought a 4-piece dinner but after eating just two pieces, I am already disgusted with myself and stopped. I will consume the other 2 pieces in a few hours after I digest this disgusting feeling in my esophagus at this moment.
- The Cajun rice is still decent, I wish I could buy a bucket of Popeyes Cajun Rice on the ‘black’ market aka off the Homeboy Shopping Network aka Rae Rae aka The Barber Shop Hook UP man.
on another note:
Do they have Popeyes in white neighborhoods? It would be nice for black folk to own something that’s dear their hearts besides liquor stores and churches….chicken would make it a trifecta!
Don’t get me wrong, I know there are chicken joints in SOME white neighborhoods, I just figured the Asians had a monopoly on them joints.
Wait…black ppl been here since slavery and the Asians have a dominant hold on the chicken market? Bad Economics!
Okay….I just had to remind myself that I am also ‘Black’…so let me stop now before my card is stripped from me.
If I don’t show any signs of life by noon tomorrow (via facebook updates etc)….please call 911 and specifically ask for Black EMTs…thanks. I support my peoples yall!